Thursday, August 19, 2010

Week 1

Our first week of school was AWESOME! Way better than I could have imagined! The KEY was for me to have time with the Lord before even beginning! Imagine that. A crazy, unique idea right?! My heart and my head needed to be in the same spot!


Like I've mentioned before we are using MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures (ECC)! This is the intro year before starting the four year history cycle. In ECC, we will be studying diverse cultures around the world, geography, and learning about different missionaries.

Anyways, our first week was pretty much an introduction for the year. So, we started out with our memory verse John 3:16. As we "travel" through out the different countries we will be learning this verse in the different languages. We also had an introduction to maps. We learned N, S, E, and W as well as hemispheres, distance, and scale. In science, we started learning about ecosystems, environments and studied our backyard habitat.
In music we learned a new song called "Hello to All the Children of the World" which teaches them the word Hello in several different languages. I'm NOT a fan of the cd's with children singing but the kids seemed to love it! LOL!

We also did our "real" school work with math, reading, phonics, writing, and Spanish. Next week we are adding spelling.

I'm really pleased at how smoothly the days went. Even with the toddlers. It really helped to schedule time for the big kids taking turns (20 min-30 min) playing with the babies. I was able to focus on the individual needs of Elijah and Abi with their help!

I know I'm a little late posting week 1 since we are 1 day shy of completing week 2 but better late than never!

2 comments:

Tina Hollenbeck said...

I just found you on the MFW Blog Roll, and I've signed up to follow you. :^) I'm doing ECC with my older girls - just finished Week 2 stuff (I spread out the first two weeks over three) - and K with my two youngers. Looking forward to keeping up with your adventures. :^)

The Noy Maker said...

Hi Tina! I LOVE that blog roll! I think I'm following your blog now to! It's so great to connect with other families using the same curriculum! I LOVE MFW!