Saturday, May 23, 2009

"Are you going to have more?"

This is the #1 question Jose and I are asked. Probably you have even been one to ask;-) The answer.......................We don't know. We were totally DONE having children after two. Actually, I had a friend who had a boy and a girl and was pregnant with her third and I actually asked her "Why?" since she already had a boy and girl. I mean, really, isn't that what having a family is? Having two children. Why would you need more? I thought people who had more than two children were C-R-A-Z-Y! After Abrianna, I wanted Jose to get "fixed" and he was like no way jose! No one was going to clip his private parts!


When Abrianna turned 3, it was like a spark went off! I was reading Psalm 127 and read:

3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.

4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.

5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.

That passage changed my thinking in a drastic way! Honestly, I'm pretty selfish. Here I was thinking, "Oh, good! My kids are 4 and 3! They are more independent! It's almost time for them to go to school! Now I can get back to my life and do what I want to do!" I saw my children more just there to complete our family! I was completely blinded to what blessings they were and how much God loves them and how he entrusted them to us! Then I started thinking, if children are gifts from God and a reward then why would I not want more?! Jose agreed! I realized I could never regret having more children but I could regret not having more! I have never met a parent who could say they regret that child coming into their life!

Is our life busy? Yes. Is it hard at times? Yes. Do I get tired? Yes. Do we have to be creative financially? Yes. Do I have a bazillion loads of laundry all the time? YES! Is it all worth it? Absolutely! Would I change anything? NO! Will there be more? I don't know but, I do know EVERY child is a gift and a blessing! I can't imagine our life without our 4 children!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

So true, Jessica! Thank-you for sharing! We would love to have more children, but we will see where God leads. I have always admired those who have big families, though, and when I was growing up, my friend was the youngest of 11. There house was a blast to go to! I loved all the action and excitement of people coming and going and things happening in every room. Big families are great!

Jessi said...

ooh, good post Jessica! This scripture has been really monumental in our lives too. It's funny how the advice you hear from most believers is actually truly anti-biblical. There is so much wisdom in only having as many as you can handle financially & physically - but other than that, the Word is clear: the more the merrier. I've told Nick, my heart feels so much lighter in the last week - with each one we have, the selfishness & self-focus dissapates & my reliance on Christ increases. That can only be a good thing:) Who knows if we'll have more, but if that is what the Lord says - we'll be sure to liste.