Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Homeschool

Well...WOW...is really the only word that describes the NCHE conference! It's amazing that a year ago I didn't even know I was going to homeschool or really even want to! The older two were registered at a private school. It's crazy how when I think I've got my plans figured out, God rearranges everything! How in the world, one year later, am I almost finished with K and 1st grade?


My Plan was:
Kids go to school while I stay home or work out or go have coffee or go shopping or hang out
friends! Doesn't my plan sound perfect?! I thought so. What happened?

Around the beginning of May last year, I was having issues with one of my children. We were "butting" heads constantly to say the least! If I'm being honest, I could not wait for school to start so I would be free of "battles" seven hours a day! I was wondering what was going on in our situation. One day in my quiet time I heard a still small voice all too familiar telling me I needed to homeschool! Of course, being the mature Christian I am, (LOL) I pretended I didn't hear anything! Other things started to confirm what I already knew! I didn't know how, why or any details about homeschooling but, I did know it was what God was calling me to! TRUST me! This was NOT my idea of a good time. I was totally against homeschooling! I thought people who did it were weird and wore long dresses with long hair. (Please forgive me if this describes you. I'm just being honest about my preconceived ideas of what someone who homeschools looks like.) I also the typical thoughts that people think such as:

They'll be un-socialized
They'll be sheltered
They won't be able to adjust to college
They stay at home all day
They are nerdy

The above are ALL untrue! I only know that now b/c I'm actually a homeschooling parent! I could give you examples of why each one is untrue but I'll save that for another blog! (If you can't wait till then, email me.)

Well, I listened to the Lord and bought my curriculum (My Father's World) last NCHE conference and have now been homeschooling for almost a year! I can't imagine not doing it! I do have bad days and sometimes get burnt out but I'm so thankful to be surrounded with other friends who share the same passion and desire and build me up when I'm feeling down! Also, I know when I'm feeling burnt out, I need to draw my strength from HIM!

I definitely know homeschooling is not for everyone! I mean hello, I never thought it would be for me! I even tell others if you don't feel called to it, don't do it b/c you'll be miserable! But, I'm so glad I listened! I've learned so many things over this year about each one of my children and things about myself. I don't know if this is God's plan for our family forever or for a season so, I guess I'll have to stay tuned to my own story =)



0 comments: