Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Men are from Mars Women are from Venus-The Mother's Day Story


Okay. I've totally been trying to write this post since right after mother's day. I'm just finally getting in the mood to finish. So, here's the story...

Let me first say that honestly, I married one of the most amazing men in the WORLD! How many men do you know that will help with everything around the house (except laundry unless out of desperation for clean underwear), do a great job watching 4 children while you're working 8hr or 12 hour shifts, change the smelliest diapers, do bath and bed time without prompting, let me sleep when I need to, and the list goes on for a mile! That being said, this past Mother's Day he totally confirmed that men are from Mars!

The back story....I'm not a gift person. Really, I never care about a present for birthday, Christmas, anniversary ect. However, to me, THE HOLIDAY is Mother's day! It's the one day I expect a card that tells me I'm the best mom in the world, blah, blah, blah! (Even if it's not true, I prefer to be at least lied to on that day!) So....Last year I thought my husband already knew this important fact so on Mother's Day I was waiting and waiting for my card! By the afternoon I still did not have it and finally asked Jose to give me the card. He looked at me with the "deer in the headlights" look and that's when the river of tears started flowing! Jose tried to comfort me but then said he needed to leave. He came back about 30 min. later with flowers and a card to try to make up. I read the card and forgot all the nice things it said because at the end it said HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I was like are you kidding? Is this a joke? Did you even read the card!? Okay. That was last year. I finally got over it but knew nothing like that would ever happen again!

Fast forward to this Mother's Day.... I did NOT want a repeat of the year before, so Thursday before Mother's Day I sent Jose a text msg. saying "Hey Babe don't forget my Mom's day card." I was brilliant. I told him exactly what I wanted and gave several days notice for him to come through! Jose had to be at church super early Mother's Day so I didn't see him in the morning. After church we went to lunch. By the end of lunch he still had not given me "the card" so I asked. "Babe, is my Mother's day card at home?" The deer in the headlights look returned! NO WAY! Right. Is it possible?! I thought he was joking but within seconds knew he did not have the card for the second year in a row! This year I was a little ticked. He knew it so he headed out to get the "make-up" card. He returned and I was thinking this better be good! I read everything and then got to the end.......I swear it said HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It really did. I was in shock! NO WAY 2 yrs in a row did I get a Birthday card for Mother's day!? I opened the floodgates! Saying blah, blah, blah about if I was a good mom I would have gotten a Mother's Day card! I have to admit I was a little dramatic only because I wanted it to be memorable!

The plan....That Monday Jose had to go to Charleston and I was still mad! I wanted him to pay! So, I called one of my friends planning the attack! My first thought was to wash all of his white clothes with a red marker to turn everything pink! Then it hit me! My genius plan! I was going to decorate for myself and get my own Mother's day card and my own gift certificates! Jose wasn't going to be home until Monday night so I had plenty of time to decorate for me! I loaded all 4 kids into the car and headed to target to purchase my Mom's Day decor! Here are the pics from the Monday after Mother's day!










Really, I had such a fun time doing this! By the time I was done I was laughing hysterically at myself and at the fact my husband seriously bought birthday cards two years in a row! Now that's funny! He came home that night with flowers and a real Mother's Day card and felt horrible! Stay tuned to find out what happens next Mother's Day! Will it be a birthday card?!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey-I remember that fishtank! :) Looking good!

Great story too! :)

The Delaney Family said...

Ha! That was seriously funny. Oddly enough, I was just talking to Lindsay Page about the men's take on Mother's Day yesterday.

I wonder why it's so hard for them to understand? But they're so cute and huggable you've got to love them anyway!

Renee said...

Ba hahahaha! Ba hahah! Jess this is hysterical!!! I just ran to get Mark and read the whole post again! You go girl! First of all it totally makes me laugh Because when Jose was my "Boss" or heading up m kids I used to send him my thoughts or ideas (Of course it takes me paragraphs to get out what I am thinking) and He would shoot me back an e-mail that said (and I quote) "Sounds Great!"

Okay beacuse I am a words of affirmation person I would freak out because I was never sure what He meant.... But I did know His Heart and think You guys are awesome!

I am just like you in that I could care less about presents etc...."GIVE ME SOME WORDS!" Way to go creating your own celebration! and taking pictures. It totaly cracks me up. I actually have a file in which I keep letters from friends or responses to e-mails that encouraged me and when I am feeling down or un apreciated I just pull out my file and read through everyone of them again!
I also have every card anyone has ever given me!! I read them when I need words;)

Next year I bet you'll get your card!!!

lynn said...

You crack me up!!!